Wednesday, April 11, 2018

IDS 202: Feed my Starving Children

This week I was fortunate enough to volunteer my time at Feed My Starving Children. For those of you who don't know, Feed My Starving Children is a Christian run organization, who is working to provide nutritious meals to third world countries. They focus on giving healthy and filling meals to malnourished children. There is a packing facility, right down the road, in Aurora. 


Image result for feed my starving children


The day I attended we were focusing on packing boxes for El Salvador, Mexico, and Haiti. These are all areas that are extremely malnourished, and need a little extra help to make sure their kids are getting the resources they need to not only survive, but to thrive. Without food, these kids brains and bodies are not able to grow at a normal rate. They become extremely frail and underdeveloped. Feed My Starving Children want to provide food for these children, not so they just aren't hungry, but so they can live a full lifestyle and grow at a healthy pace.


Image result for feed my starving children




At each station there is a bucket of rice, soy, freeze dried veggies, and a vitamin mix. Two people scoop ingredients into a bag, just like the ones pictured above. The next person holds the bag and then gives it to the weigh-er. The weigh-er is in charge of making sure the bag has 180 to 200 grams. They are in charge of putting in more rice or taking it out when it is needed. The next person is in charge of sealing the bag, and the last is in charge of boxing it. I was the scoooper of the vitamins and rice.


Image result for feed my starving children map

Volunteering at Feed My Starving Children is always so rewarding because you know exactly where the food is headed to, and you see the kids of kids who are receiving the food. They are a great organization and I highly recommend volunteering there!



No comments:

Post a Comment