Tuesday, January 23, 2018

IDS 202: Module 1- Food Identity

One way to describe my food identity is a melting pot of all different cultures. This may be why my favorite meal I've ever had was a Christmas Eve Mexican feast. Ironically, I have never been to Mexico, but I have always loved trying to recreate their food. This meal was so special not only because it was delicious, but because I was able to spend it with family members who I loved.
A big part of my life consists of traveling and experiencing different cultures. One of my favorite parts of traveling is going to restaurants and experiencing the local foods that different countries have to offer. When I went to England I had a dish called a pasty, a pastry crust filled with vegetables. I also tried my first Indian dish while in Bath, England. It was kind of like a pancake filled with vegetables and served with a tomato and mango dipping sauce.
When I went to Sweden I had a vegetarian version of Swedish meatballs. It was served with mashed potatoes, a side salad, and some type of sweet berry.
These two dishes pictured above are one of many dishes I have tried in other countries and now try and create in my own kitchen. Traveling is a huge part of me, and with that comes me loving to try different kinds of foods. Making these dishes helps me to reflect back on all my trips, and reminds me of all the good times I have had exploring the world.
While I may not be able to match all of the flavors these authentic dishes have, I adapt them to my own tastes and preferences. One thing I have noticed while traveling is that in tourist areas restaurants are much less authentic to the culture. They try and create dishes that all different cultures will enjoy, even if this means sacrificing their cultural identity. 
For example, when I was in Stockholm I purchased a mocha at a chain restaurant called Espresso house. This coffee was not at all like normal Swedish coffee. Since we were in such a touristy area they added more sugar to appease the taste buds of travelers from different countries.
While this mocha was good, it got me thinking. Why do other countries feel the need to change their cultural identity for other cultures to enjoy their food? We should be embarrassing the culture we are in and enjoying their food as they cook it, not an Americanized version. When I look back at my favorite Mexican meal, I realize how different it is from authentic Mexican food. One day I hope I get the chance to travel to Mexico to enjoy their local cuisine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment